The supervisory board of the foundation consists of at least nine members who are appointed to a four-year term by the Governing Mayor of Berlin. With due cause, it is possible to both prematurely dismiss a member from the board as well as to reappoint a member for subsequent terms. The supervisory board elects its own chair and vice-chair. Board members serve on a volunteer basis.
According to the charter of the foundation, the supervisory board’s duties are:
a) to provide for a most efficient and effective realization of the founder’s wishes by supervising and advising the executive board
b) to decide on changes to the charter.
Members of the supervisory board:
- Ana-Maria Trăsnea, State of Berlin Delegate to the Federation Permanent Secretary for Active Citizenship and International Relations
- Andreas Gram, Former Vice President of the Berlin House of Representatives
- Erik Kirschbaum, Deputy Director RIAS Berlin Commission
- Dr. Jürgen Lillteicher, Director Alliied Museum
- Kirsten Niehuus, Director Medienboard Berlin-Brandenburg GmbH
- Notker Schweikhardt, former Member of the Berlin House of Representatives
- Karsten D. Voigt, former Coordinator of Transatlantic Cooperation
- Susan Woosley, former Director KCRW Berlin gGmbH
- Isabelle Caron, Site Managing Director Alstom
- Cathleen Fisher, Executive Director Fulbright Kommission
- Dr. Jakob Sherer, Executive Director Villa Aurora & Thomas Mann House e.V.
- Dr. Ullrich Lohrmann, Managing Director CIEE Global Institute Berlin
- Catherine von Fürstenberg-Dussmann, Dussmann Stiftung & Co. KGaA
This board’s term will expire June 30, 2026.